In Leesburg, VA, we see certain common septic tank problems over and over again. The pros here at Advantage Septic Service know that a tank that is too full and clogs are leading causes of homeowner frustration. The good news is that both problems are easy to prevent.
By far the worst thing you can do is not get your septic tank pumped out regularly. For most homeowners, that means once a year. But for some, every two or three years is fine. It all depends on how many people are using the system.
Property owners don’t realize what can happen when they fail to get the septic tank cleaned out in a timely manner. Here’s what you’ll be dealing with:
- Drains and toilets that run too slow. You can buy all the drain clog products and devices you want. None will work if the source of the trouble is a full septic tank. The only way to return your drains to proper condition is by getting the tank emptied.
- Unpleasant odors in your drain field. The cause is wastewater that is pushed out of the septic tank because it is over-full of sludge. If you have wastewater problems, you can say goodbye to the good smells from your honeysuckle, jasmine, mint, lavender and other herbs and flowers.
- Contamination of your soil due to the escaped wastewater. This is a genuine health hazard. If the underlying problem isn’t promptly fixed, you may actually have to move the location of your entire septic system.
- Cracked tank because it is too full. It is expensive to repair a tank and, if necessary, to replace it.
- Sewage backup into the home. This is a health hazard, as well as a disgusting, smelly mess. Your family can’t live safely in the house until your septic system is fixed.
For all these reasons, it is sensible to arrange for regular septic tank pumping. You’ll stay safer, your environment will be more appealing, and you’ll save a lot of money. This is the easiest of the most common septic tank problems to prevent in Leesburg, VA.
Clogs are the next biggest problem that our Advantage technicians deal with. These too are preventable in most cases. In the bathroom, the only things that should go down your toilet are human waste and toilet paper. Nothing else. Not hair, not sanitary products, not medications, not paper towels, not disposable diapers.
In the kitchen, make sure you protect the drain from food prep debris. Your septic tank can’t deal with fruit and vegetable peelings. You should never put coffee grounds or eggshells down your drain. Don’t let grease, fats and oils get into the system.
Call Advantage Septic Service today to find out more about common septic tank problems in Leesburg, VA, and how we can fix them.